- (adj) forbidden by law, rules, or custom; “illicit drugs”
illicit (इलिसट / इलिसिट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi dictionary)
- अनुचित, अवैध, गैरकानूनी, नाजायज, ग़ैरकानूनी
- early 16th century: from French, or from Latin illicitus, from in- ‘not’ + licitus (see licit).
illicit in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Illicit liquor factory unearthed in UP.
- UP: Minor hacks sister to death over illicit relationship.
- The announcement comes after French prosecutors confirmed their suspicions that the illicit payment was made to a secret account.
- During the last six years, the illicit segment has grown by 43 per cent and the tax-paid cigarette volume has declined by 11 per cent.
- Gora had developed an illicit relationship with Rani.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of illicit
- illicit = ill + city (doing ill to city -> illicit drugs)
Illicit Relationship exposed at Ramnagar in Karimnagar district | CVR English
- (adj) attempting to avoid notice or attention, typically because of guilt or a belief that discovery would lead to trouble; secretive.
Furtive (फर्टिव) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- गुप्त, रहस्यमय, चुराया हुआ, छिपाते हुए, लुके छिपे, चोरी छिपे
- early 17th century: from French furtif, -ive or Latin furtivus, from furtum ‘theft’.
Furtive in a sentence (usage in newspaper)
- “Unlike Chris’ furtive relationship with Jennifer Lawrence, Gwyneth doesn’t mind making her happiness with Brad fully known.
- A furtive phone chat on a terrace amid clothes drying under the sun.
- She is wracked by a sense of guilt and loss after a furtive sexual adventure in a seedy hotel goes awry and ends in tragedy.
- The police described his manner as “furtive, angry and distressed,” shortly after they brought into the station.
- As Ram Dhan sits talking animatedly, he throws furtive glances at the shut kitchen.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of furtive
- Furtive ~ FARTive , subke saamne Fart karoge toh chupna padega
Chori Chori Chupke Chupke – FURTIVE