Diffident [dif-i-duhnt] (adjective)
- someone who is shy and lacks self-confidence
- lacking confidence in one’s own ability
- restrained or reserved in manner, conduct, etc
Diffident Word Usage:
- Diffidence is sure to mar your chances of selection in the interview.
- There’s no need to be so diffident about your achievements – you’ve done really well!
Diffident Word Usage in News:
- Rahul Gandhi has so far been perceived as a rather diffident politician who is reluctant to assume a position of responsibility
- A gay couple were just as diffident as the heteros
- It was a period of diffidence, of disillusion, he was incapable of showing true love for a woman
- If Modi is able to maintain momentum, some of the diffidence of regional parties to ally with him can evaporate.