- (noun) the arrival of a notable person or thing; “the advent of television”
- (noun) the first season of the Church year, leading up to Christmas and including the four preceding Sundays.
Advent meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- आगमन, अवतार, बड़े दिन से पहले चार सप्ताह, ईसा मसीह का पृथ्वी पर आगमन, ईसा मसीह का दुबारा आगमन
- Old English, from Latin adventus ‘arrival’, from advenire, from ad- ‘to’ + venire ‘come’.
Advent in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- With the advent of credit cards, the habit of savings has taken a hit.
- The air was cool with the advent of winter.
- After the advent of democracy in 1990, leaders like Gajendra Narayan Singh demanded a fair share to Madhes.
- Geelani said instead of solving any issues faced by the Muslims, the advent of Islamic State has plunged the Muslim world into a civil war.
- The advent of Castro, marked the end of US business as usual.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of advent
- advent = add + event (waiting for event – arrival)
What is advent?
What Is Advent?