- (noun) a thing that discourages or is intended to discourage someone from doing something. “cameras are a major deterrent to crime”
- (noun) a nuclear weapon or weapons system regarded as deterring an enemy from attack. “Britain’s nuclear deterrent”
- (adj) able or intended to deter. “the deterrent effect of heavy prison sentences”
Deterrent meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- डराकर रोकने वाला, निवारक
- early 19th century: from Latin deterrent- ‘deterring’, from the verb deterrere (see deter).
Deterrent in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Trust continues to be deterrent in smaller markets: 1-India Family Mart …, A bulk of your business comes from tier-II, III and IV cities, but of late consumer demand across categories has been sluggish in the country.
- Arun Jaitley: Talaq law will have a strong deterrent effect, Saying that the concept of social security did not exist in India, he said divorced women risked being reduced to destitution. “In a divorce …
- Bengaluru ranks a poor 81 among global education hubs—and that’s …, Indian cities are among the least desirable destinations for international … The high cost of living in cities like Mumbai was also a deterrent.
- Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill 2019: 7 key points, The government’s view is that the steep fines will act as a deterrent for … a Motor Vehicle Accident Fund that insures all road users in India.
- Indian fans can book NBA pre-match tickets on BookMyShow, New Delhi: Come 4 and 5 October and Indian basketball fans will be in … which is a big deterrent to further popularize the game in India,” said …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Deterrent
- DETER + RENT. A high rent IS ALWAYS A discouraging factor FOR TENANTS.
- FOCUS ON rent OF DETERRENT. rent IS ALWAYS A HINDRANCE AND IS DISCOURAGING FOR TENANTS.
India says anti-satellite missile test will act as a deterrent