- (noun) a thing that existed before or logically precedes another;“some antecedents to the African novel might exist in Africa’s oral traditions”
- (noun) a person’s ancestors or family and social background.“
- (adj) preceding in time or order; previous or pre-existing.“antecedent events”
- (grammar) Sachin he
Antecedent (ऐन्टिसीडन्ट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- पूर्वज, पूर्ववर्ती, पूर्व पद, पूर्वपद, पूर्वगामी
- late Middle English: from Old French or from Latin antecedent- ‘going before’, from antecedere, from ante ‘before’ + cedere ‘go’
Antecedent in a sentence (usage in newspaper)
- Declaration of criminal antecedents must for candidates: Supreme Court
- He sometimes behaves abnormally so we have sought help of the Vellore police to find out his antecedent.
- If the antecedent of a candidate is tainted with doubtful integrity, as in the present case, the same is relevant for eligibility criteria.
- Varanasi’s unorthodox Holi kavi sammelan (gathering of poets) has no identifiable antecedent.
- Police, however, later attributed the killing to the criminal antecedent of the boy’s father.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of antecedent
- Ante(before)+incident, so antecedent means something that happened before or come before.
Antecedent – Jargon of the Day