- (verb) formally reject or disavow a formerly held belief, usually under pressure; “She abjured her beliefs”
Abjure (ऐब्जुर) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- संत्याग करना, अस्वीकार करना, औपचारिक रूप से त्याग करना, शपथपूर्वक त्याग करना, त्यागना
- late Middle English: from Latin abjurare, from ab- ‘away’ + jurare ‘swear’.
Abjure in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Shanmuganathan asks outfits to abjure path of violence.
- One will not become patriotic by shouting slogans; one has to abjure the sentiment of enmity, violence, vigilantism and vengeance.
- PM Narendra Modi asks Naxals to abjure violence.
- There will be no talks unless they abjure violence.
- This in itself will ensure officers abjure errant behaviour.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of abjure
- Salmaan khan saying “ab” “jury” ke saamne kasam khata hun kabhi drink and drive nahi karunga.
Sholay – Gabbar Singh’s before abjuring violence
- (verb) to renounce or relinquish a throne, right, power, claim, responsibility, or the like, especially in a formal manner; “in 1918 Kaiser Wilhelm abdicated as German emperor”
- (verb) fail to fulfil or undertake (a responsibility or duty); “the government was accused of abdicating its responsibility”
Abdicate (ऐब्डकेट / ऐब्डकैट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- त्यागना, त्याग करना, पद त्याग करना, छोड़ देना, गद्दी छोड़ देना
- mid 16th century: from Latin abdicat- ‘renounced’, from the verb abdicare, from ab- ‘away, from’ + dicare ‘declare’.
Abdicate in a sentence (usage in newspaper)
- Working after office hours is a unique prerogative of the Indian male who is socialised to abdicate from housework and child-rearing duties.
- A state cannot abdicate its responsibility in the guise of PPP, said Congress state president Sachin Pilot.
- Then should the State abdicate its constitutional duty of providing free and compulsory education to children.
- He wanted Tamil Nadu to abdicate the present power purchase policy totally and review all the agreements signed so far.
- The present debate shows the state wants to abdicate its responsibility and hand over education to private interests.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of abdicate
- ab + dictator = ab dictator (ruler) nai hi apna pad chhod diya
Headlines at 8:30: Spain’s King Juan Carlos to abdicate throne