- (verb) state emphatically or publicly; “he affirmed that they would lend military assistance”
- (verb) declare one’s support for; uphold; defend; “the charter affirmed the right of national minorities to use their own language”
- (law) accept or confirm the validity of (a judgement or agreement); ratify;”the Court of Appeal affirmed a decision of the High Court”
- (law) make a formal declaration rather than taking an oath; “he refused to take the oath but chose simply to affirm on being admitted to the Privy Council”
- (verb) offer (someone) emotional support or encouragement; “there are five common ways parents fail to affirm their children”
Affirm (अफर्म) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- मान लेना, स्वीकार करना, पुष्टि करना, प्रतिज्ञान करना, अनुमोदन करना, दावे से कहना
- Middle English (in the sense ‘make firm’): via Old French from Latin affirmare, from ad- ‘to’ + firmus ‘strong’.
Affirm in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- In fact, every industry statesman will affirm that leadership centred around values is inevitable for the building of a legacy.
- As a litterateur, I affirm that the current so-called “intolerance” by regional and nation media is of no help.
- YSR Congress MLAs affirm faith in Jagan’s leadership.
- The violent battle on 22 March in Hyderabad University seems part of an ongoing coordinated action to affirm dominance and power.
- Ask firmly, negotiate smartly, affirm gently, and settle happily!
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of affirm
- Affirm = A + ‘firm’ statement
You Must Affirm What You Want! (Law Of Attraction)