- (verb) feel or show fear or apprehension; “she quailed at his heartless words”
- (noun) a small or medium-sized New World game bird.
Quail (क्वेल / क्वैल) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- डरना, डूबना, दबना, धमकाना, घबरा जाना, हिम्मत हारना, हार मानना, भयभीत होना, धमकी देना, हिम्मत हार
- late Middle English (in the sense ‘waste away, come to nothing’): of unknown origin.
Quail in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Only Sunil Narine held his own with 2/22 but the rest just quailed in the face of Pollard’s assault.
- He looked into an abyss and unlike Dr Manmohan Singh, who quailed and turned away because the darkness was frightening, Modi has taken.
- When he wanted to acquire Godavari Fertilizers and Chemical in 2003, critics quailed at the price Murugappa was ready to pay.
- Who are quailed in the written test shall be called for Interview.
- And while they quailed for the 2015 World Cup, Scotland were unable to grab one of six qualifying spots for last year’s ICC World Twenty20.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of quail
- quail ~ whale, saamne khatarnak ‘whale’ dekhoge toh ‘quail’ ho jaaoge