- (noun) severe physical or mental suffering “their deaths have left both families in torment”
- (noun) a cause of severe suffering “the journey must have been a torment for them”
- (verb) cause to experience severe mental or physical suffering “he was tormented by jealousy”
- (verb) annoy or provoke in an unkind way “every day I have kids tormenting me because they know I live alone”
Torment meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- यातना, कष्ट, तड़पाना, सताना, कष्ट पहुंचाना
- Middle English (as both noun and verb referring to the infliction or suffering of torture): Old French torment (noun), tormenter (verb), from Latin tormentum ‘instrument of torture’, from torquere ‘to twist’.
Torment in a sentence (word usage in newspaper)
- After undergoing the torment, I was released and immediately came back to Coimbatore.
- To find peace from all the bad dreams that torment him, He sets off for a journey to the plains of silence.
- Australia paceman Mitchell Johnson is at full throttle and ready to torment England’s batsmen again in the Ashes series.
- They torment their wives for merely voicing their opinions.
- With prices rising higher, onions are back to torment the government.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of torment
- torment – torrent per agar mujhe meri movie na mile to i feel tortured (torment)
Basanti undergoing the torment