- (noun) the side of a person’s or animal’s body between the ribs and the hip. “leaning against his horse’s flanks”
- (noun) a cut of meat from the flank of an animal. “a thick flank of beef”
- (noun) the side of a large object or structure. “the northern flank of the Rockies”
- (noun) the right or left side of a body of people such as an army, a naval force, or a soccer team. “the left flank of the Russian Third Army”
- (noun) the right or left side of a gaming area such as a chessboard.
- (verb) be on each or on one side of. “the three defendants stood in the dock, flanked by police officers”
- (verb) guard or strengthen (a military force or position) from the side. “the southern gate of the fortress is flanked by towers”
- (verb) attack down or from the sides, or rake with gunfire from the sides. “the ship went straight through the enemy fleet and flanked them”
Flank meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- बगल, बीच में, पार्श्व, मकान का किनारा, पार्श्व भाग, फौज का बगली भाग, बगल में होना, दोनों बगल की रक्षा करना, बगल जानवर के, ओर, किनारे की ओर आक्रमण करना, दिशा, नज़दीक होना, पक्ष, पहलू, फ़ोज का किनारा मज़बूत करना
- late Old English, from Old French flanc, of Germanic origin.
Flank in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- India play out 1-1 draw against Afghanistan, Dushanbe [Tajikistan], Nov 14 (ANI): India played out a 1-1 draw … Full-back David Najem crossed the ball from the right flank and it was …
- Gujarat may escape Cyclone Maha fury, Cyclone Bulbul …, Two cyclones flank India currently and are expected to bring rainfall to areas of Gujarat and Maharashtra in the west and Odisha and West …
- Great Wall, Chery, Beiqi Foton look to begin India drive. Who …, Building the ‘Great Wall’, in India Sources say Chinese players are tracking the …. “They could flank existing cars, but in EVs they are already …
- Far removed from reality, A mammoth lotus-star structure looms over the India Gate, dwarfing the old … A row of buildings that look like shopping malls flank Rajpath.
- ATK ride roughshod over Hyderabad FC, Prabir Das, who was lively on the right flank, played it across the face of … and Amrinder Singh in Igor Stmiac’s India national team, could have …
How to Pronounce Flank