- (verb) bitterly regret (something one has done or allowed to happen) and wish it undone. “Ferguson will rue the day he turned down that offer”
- (noun) repentance; regret. “with rue my heart is laden”
- (noun) compassion; pity. “tears of pitying rue”
- (noun) a perennial evergreen shrub with bitter strong-scented lobed leaves which are used in herbal medicine.
Rue meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- अफसोस करना, रंज, विलाप कर, ब्राह्मी, पछताना, शोक करना
- Old English hrēow ‘repentance’, hrēowan ‘affect with contrition’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch rouw‘mourning’ and German Reue ‘remorse’.
- Middle English: from Old French, via Latin from Greek rhutē .
Rue in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Article 370 abrogation downgrades Jammu’s status, rue locals, BSF soldiers on a boat patrol the Chenab river on the eve of Independence Day along the India Pakistan border in Akhnoor about 55 km from …
- Kohli hits classy century as India down West Indies, As commanding as his innings was though, the hosts were left to rue a straightforward opportunity missed by wicketkeeper Shai Hope off …
- View: Ambani cutting Reliance debt is bad omen for India’s economy, Above all, what will Reliance’s deleveraging mean for India? … Banks, however, will rue the end of his debt-fueled expansion if loan …
- We are ‘misplaced’ since 1947, say PoK displaced, … migrated to India from the Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) during partition, are still “misplaced” even after 72 years of exile, rue refugees.
- Former army officers rue ‘lack of facilities’, Talking about Armed Forces Flag Day, Singh said funds were collected from people for the welfare of the Indian Armed Forces personnel on …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Rue
- rue sounds similar to ruin…when you ruin your life you LAMENT and REGRET it
- sounds like ro(weep)…so mourn
STRANDED PASSENGERS RUE ILL-TREATMENT BY AIR INDIA STAFF