- (adj) involving immoral or dishonourable actions and motives; arousing moral distaste and contempt. “the story paints a sordid picture of bribes and scams”
- (adj) dirty or squalid. the overcrowded housing conditions were sordid and degrading”
Sordid meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- घटिया,अनैतिक, गंदा, घिनौना
- late Middle English (as a medical term in the sense ‘purulent’): from French sordide or Latin sordidus, from sordere ‘be dirty’. The current senses date from the early 17th century.
Sordid in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Maharashtra Government Formation: Sordid manipulation by …, Accusing the BJP of “sordid manipulation”, the Left parties on Saturday said it … The Communist Party of India (CPI) described the political …
- The governor isn’t Sherlock Holmes, Your lordships, … elections in Maharashtra will not just be remembered for the sordid … this be an abnegation of Article 212
- (2) of the Constitution of In
Our Democracy ; worst floats to the top and vile is replaced by …, … Duryodhan and other courtiers who watched that sordid drama were. …. Ram Gaya Ram was a phrase that became popular in Indian politics.
- Reporter’s Take | A sordid tale of govt’s ambitious vaccine project … Get access to India’s fastest growing financial subscriptions service …
- One Full Vote and Half a Life, For India, the world’s largest democracy striving to be a major world … looks away from the sordid reality that India has failed to rid itself of …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Sordid
- or obse(ssed)-Qui( yes in frech)-ous=always obsessed with saying yes to it all
- ob + SEQUI + ous .. sequi means sequence where one thing “follows” the other.. and servants follow what their masters say..
How to Pronounce Sordid