- (verb) (of an army) withdraw from enemy forces as a result of their superior power or after a defeat. “the French retreated in disarray”
- (verb) move back or withdraw. “it becomes so hot that the lizards retreat into the shade”
- (verb) withdraw to a quiet or secluded place. “after the funeral he retreated to Scotland”
- (verb) change one’s mind or plans as a result of criticism or difficulty. “his proposals were clearly unreasonable and he was forced to retreat”
- (verb) (of shares) decline in value. “the company reported healthy figures but the shares retreated”
- (verb) move (a piece) back from a forward or threatened position on the board.
- (noun) an act of moving back or withdrawing. “a speedy retreat”
- (noun) an act of changing one’s mind or plans as a result of criticism or difficulty. “the trade unions made a retreat from their earlier position”
- (noun) a signal for a military force to withdraw. “the bugle sounded a retreat”
- (noun) a quiet or secluded place in which one can rest and relax. “their country retreat in Ireland”
- (noun) a period or place of seclusion for the purposes of prayer and meditation. “the bishop is away on his annual retreat”
- (noun) a decline in the value of shares. “a gloomy stock market forecast sent share prices into a rapid retreat”
Retreat meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- पीछे हटना, चले जाना, आश्रयस्थल, गिराना, एकान्त वास, भागना, वापस होना, कीमत कम होना, वापसी का संकेत, कम होना, चला जाना, निर्णय बदलना, वापसी, आश्रय, निर्जन स्थान, पीछे हटना, शरण, स्थान छोड़ना
- late Middle English: from Old French retret (noun), retraiter (verb), from Latin retrahere ‘pull back’ (see retract)
Retreat in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Fact Check: Bangladesh site uses old image of Pak Army, social …, As the war cry intensifies, Indian soldiers deployed in Kashmir … that India has deployed an additional 20,000 troops to check the retreat of its …
- Independence Day 2019: Beating Retreat Celebrated At Attari-Wagah …, Attari: Thousands of people converged at the Attari-Wagah joint check post between India and Pakistan on Thursday evening to be a part of the …
- India equity valuations retreat as hope trade takes a back seat, Indian equities have given up their post-election gains. Dalal Street’s euphoria fizzled out when no big-bang stimulus was announced in the …
- Taki: A Quiet Retreat on Bengal’s Ichamati River … Hordes of people on both sides of India and Bangladesh come to witness the immersion …
- Bharti Singh, Aditya Narayan and more spotted at Beating Retreat …, Attari: It’s time for Beating Retreat ceremony at the India-Pakistan border in Wagah, and the vibrant air has an extra dash of anticipation.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Retreat
- retreat=suppose if someone asks for re(again) treat….you will avoid him.move back from from him ie withdraw
WAGAH-ATTARI BORDER PARADE : BEST COVERAGE OF RETREAT CEREMONY IN FULL HD..!!