- (noun) the desire to promote the welfare of others, expressed especially by the generous donation of money to good causes. “he acquired a considerable fortune and was noted for his philanthropy”
- (noun) a philanthropic institution, a charity. “a philanthropy was incorporated to help oldsters obtain benefits like pension rights”
Philanthropy meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- उदार, परोपकारी, लोकहितैषी, लोकोपकारी, सर्वजन उपकारी, लोक-हितैषी, लोकानुरागी
- early 17th century: via late Latin from Greek philanthrōpia, from philanthrōpos ‘man-loving’ (see philanthrope).
Philanthropy in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Making of Azim Premji: The Philanthropist, India’s most generous citizen is no accidental philanthropist. Azim Premji isn’t the kind of man who gets up one day and stricken by conscience, …
- Indian billionaires are failing to help the country’s poor – but it’s more …, There has been talk recently that Indian philanthropists are not doing enough to tackle inequality at home. The inference is that as wealth levels …
- The New Wave Of Female Soccer Players As Philanthropists, “At Common Goal we believe in a model of collective philanthropy. … equality, such as a signature project on menstrual hygiene across India.
- Proud moment for Zomato! Company jumps on philanthropy …, Zomato has acquired a not for profit organisation, Feeding India to help in food distribution to poor. Zomato will fund the entire salaries of the …
- IT czar’s retirement casts spotlight on private philanthropy in India, He is often referred to as the czar of India’s IT industry but, at the end of next month, Mr Azim Premji’s reign will come to an end. The 73-year-old …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Philanthropy
- TROPHY – anna hazzare gained trophy for doing welfare (CHARITY) of ppl.
- PHIL gave ANTs breadcrumbs. ANTs rewarded him with a TROPHY for his PHILANTHROPY.