- (adj) feeling or showing sorrow and regret for having done wrong; repentant; “she stood with her hands joined below her waist like a penitent child”
- (noun) a person who repents their sins and (in the Christian Church) seeks forgiveness from God.
- (noun) (in the Roman Catholic Church) a person who confesses their sins to a priest and submits to the penance that he imposes.
Penitent (पेनिटन्ट / पेनिटिन्ट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- पश्चातापी, पछताने या अफ़सोस करने वाला, तोबा करनेवाला व्यक्ति, अनुतापी
- Middle English: from Old French, from Latin paenitent- ‘repenting’, from the verb paenitere.
Penitent in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Penitent, he attempted to reconcile himself to his father, but King Henry II feared that this was a trick and refused to attend his son.
- Kalam was penitent after this reproachful decision.
- Forget that wildling that tried to kill you, you’re done with that penitent sex thing.
- I am also penitent that the State Govt. put restrictions on the payment of the cheques but Bandh will not solve such problems permanently.
- They were like penitent schoolboys and confessed sheepishly, ‘We won’t ever repeat this.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of penitent
- he went in the ‘tent’ and gave a ‘penny’ as a bribe, later on he was penitent that he should have not paid bribe.