(noun) a large, imposing building.
(noun) a complex system of beliefs; “the concepts on which the edifice of capitalism was built”
Edifice (एडफस / एडफिस) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
भवन, प्रासाद, महल, गृह, हवेली
- late Middle English: via Old French from Latin aedificium, from aedis ‘dwelling’ + facere ‘make’.
Edifice in a sentence (word usage in newspaper)
- No edifice, this primary school shifted to parking lot.
- Begada ensured that an edifice of such brilliance would not be replicated and hence put to death, the masons involved in its building.
- The foundations on which the caste edifice stood in Bihar are crumbling.
- We have recreated the 16th century edifice built by Maharaja Man Singh of Amber Fort.
- As the stomach churning drive began, the Himalayan mountain range soon presented its sheer imposing complex edifice.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of edifice
- Edifice = Head + office (big size building)
India Gate- An Edifice of Courage, Valour and Grandeur