- (verb) (of a state or feeling) decrease in vigour or extent; become weaker; “confidence in the dollar waned”
- (verb) (of the moon) have a progressively smaller part of its visible surface illuminated, so that it appears to decrease in size; “the moon is waning”
- (Phrase) on the wane — becoming weaker or less extensive; “the epidemic was on the wane”
- (noun) the amount by which a plank or log is bevelled or falls short of a squared shape; “I cut the log into slabs without removing the outside wane”
Wane (वेन / वैन) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- उतरना, घटना, ढलना, कम होना, क्षीण होना, अधोगति, अवनति, कमी, क्षय, घटाव, पतन, ह्रास, चंद घटना
- Old English wanian ‘lessen’, of Germanic origin; related to Latin vanus ‘vain’.
Wane in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Manufacturing activity picks up but optimism continues to wane.
- US Report Says Anti-Americanism On the Wane in Greece.
- India’s craze for gold on the wane as yellow metal gets dearer.
- Atheism may be on the wane in Britain.
- Davos: Citigroup CEO admits London focus will wane after Brexit.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of wane
- wane === opposite of gain
Abbreviate Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi translation with picture dictionary
- (verb) shorten (a word, phrase, or text)
Abbreviate (अब्रीवीएट / अब्रीवीऐट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- संक्षेप करना, कम करना, छोटा करना, संक्षिप्त करना
- late Middle English: from late Latin abbreviat- ‘shortened’, from the verb abbreviare, from Latin brevis ‘short’.
Abbreviate in a sentence (usage in newspaper)
- We started noticing that the younger generation tends to abbreviate longer names and hence we thought abbreviation is a good idea.
- Smile’s TextExpander 5 helps you type faster by making suggestions of frequently-typed phrases to abbreviate and save time.
- First, the abbreviation of a word should not be longer or more complex than the word itself.
- I know many friends who have shortened their name or found a similar name to abbreviate or adapt their difficult Indian name.
- According to the two comedians, the best way to “speak” is to just abbreviate everything to keep conversations short.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of abbreviate
- Abbreviate word mein chhupa hai brevity(means brief)
SMS English ( Lesson) – Modern English abbreviations and Shortened text messages