(verb) deny or contradict (a fact or statement) “it was difficult to gainsay his claim”
(verb) speak against or oppose (someone) “none could gainsay her”
Gainsay meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
विरोध करना, चुनौती देना, खण्डन करना, प्रतिवाद करना, अस्वीकार करना
- Middle English: from obsolete gain- ‘against’ + say.
Gainsay in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- “There is no gainsay from such statements,” Mr. Diwan pointed out.
- “There is then no gainsay in the fact that transgenders enjoy basic human rights including protection from violence and discrimination.
- He was a perfectionist, but he will gainsay it for that’s what invariably makes him a perfectionist.
- If these demanding practices help Muslims find peace and God, no one has a right to gainsay them.
- But he also makes points that officials struggle to gainsay.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of gainsay
- gainsay = gain weight?? say it… don’t deny… don’t gainsay