- (verb) say something in answer to a remark, typically in a sharp, angry, or witty manner; “‘No need to be rude,’ retorted Isabel”
- (noun) a sharp, angry, or witty reply; “she opened her mouth to make a suitably cutting retort”
- (noun) a container or furnace for carrying out a chemical process on a large or industrial scale; “a laboratory full of bubbling retorts and crackling electrical equipment”
Retort meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Meaning)
- मुंहतोड़ जवाब, कड़ा उत्तर देना
- late 15th century (in the sense ‘hurl back an accusation or insult’): from Latin retort- ‘twisted back, cast back’, from the verb retorquere, from re- ‘in return’ + torquere ‘to twist’.
Retort in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu editorial newspaper)
- Nani’s Retort to a crazy fan is going viral.
- Asked an emotional Mamata Banerjee in her retort to a BJP leader’s comments in which he called the West Bengal chief minister a ‘hijra’.
- People of Kashmir retort, is the Supreme Court oblivious of the fact that Kashmir was peaceful from October 2016 to April 2017!
- Some males bring nesting material, while others weave thin threads into retort-shaped structures.
- In retort, Sooraj said he was a member of the mess and had every right to be there, and allegedly added that he would eat beef inside the mess.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of retort
- resort mein retort mat karna… bhaga denge
Parry Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi translation with picture dictionary
- (verb) ward off (a weapon or attack) with a countermove; “Jack Sparrow parried the blow by holding his sword vertically”
- (verb) answer (a question or accusation) evasively; “I parried her constant questions about my job-hunting activities”
- (noun) an act or instance of parrying, as in fencing; “the swords clashed in a parry”
Parry meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- बचाव, हिफ़ाज़त, टाल-मटोल, टलना, बचना, रोकना, टाल जाना, वार बचाना
- late 17th century: probably representing French parez! ‘ward off!’, imperative of parer, from Italian parare ‘ward off’.
Parry in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- She put on her sunglasses to parry his probing eyes.
- The boxer put up his fists to parry his opponent’s punch.
- Each time Riley lunged with his sword, Arthur would parry the blow by blocking it with his own blade.
- Before Mary walked away, she tried to parry Ann’s insult with one of her own.
- Alex attempted to parry his wife’s attack by covering his face with his hands.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of parry
- parry the blow… remember this Jack sparrow image
Gainsay Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi translation with picture dictionary
(verb) deny or contradict (a fact or statement) “it was difficult to gainsay his claim”
(verb) speak against or oppose (someone) “none could gainsay her”
Gainsay meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
विरोध करना, चुनौती देना, खण्डन करना, प्रतिवाद करना, अस्वीकार करना
- Middle English: from obsolete gain- ‘against’ + say.
Gainsay in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- “There is no gainsay from such statements,” Mr. Diwan pointed out.
- “There is then no gainsay in the fact that transgenders enjoy basic human rights including protection from violence and discrimination.
- He was a perfectionist, but he will gainsay it for that’s what invariably makes him a perfectionist.
- If these demanding practices help Muslims find peace and God, no one has a right to gainsay them.
- But he also makes points that officials struggle to gainsay.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of gainsay
- gainsay = gain weight?? say it… don’t deny… don’t gainsay
Confound Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi translation with pictures
- (verb) cause surprise or confusion in (someone), especially by not according with their expectations.“the inflation figure confounded economic analysts”
- (verb) mix up (something) with something else.“he was forever confounding managerialism with idealism”
- (verb) to contradict or refute; to confound their arguments.
- (verb) prove (a theory or expectation) wrong; “the rise in prices confounded expectations”
Confound meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- उलझाना, गड़बड़ करना, उलझन में डालना, हरा देना
- Middle English: from Old French confondre, from Latin confundere ‘pour together, mix up’
Confound in a sentence (usage in newspaper)
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of confound
- confound = confusion found
Hum tumme itne ched karengey – Dabangg funny video