- (verb) ward off (a weapon or attack) with a countermove; “Jack Sparrow parried the blow by holding his sword vertically”
- (verb) answer (a question or accusation) evasively; “I parried her constant questions about my job-hunting activities”
- (noun) an act or instance of parrying, as in fencing; “the swords clashed in a parry”
Parry meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- बचाव, हिफ़ाज़त, टाल-मटोल, टलना, बचना, रोकना, टाल जाना, वार बचाना
- late 17th century: probably representing French parez! ‘ward off!’, imperative of parer, from Italian parare ‘ward off’.
Parry in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- She put on her sunglasses to parry his probing eyes.
- The boxer put up his fists to parry his opponent’s punch.
- Each time Riley lunged with his sword, Arthur would parry the blow by blocking it with his own blade.
- Before Mary walked away, she tried to parry Ann’s insult with one of her own.
- Alex attempted to parry his wife’s attack by covering his face with his hands.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of parry
- parry the blow… remember this Jack sparrow image