- (noun) the state of being very poor; extreme poverty; “he couldn’t face another year of penury”
Penury meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- गरीबी, दरिद्रता, अभाव
- late Middle English: from Latin penuria ‘need, scarcity’; perhaps related to paene ‘almost’.
Penury in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Despite many programmes, penury could not be removed.
- The veteran music composer who was living in penury wrote to Ms. Jayalalithaa seeking financial assistance.
- After Independence, Aich was released from jail and despite penury he continued to indulge in his passion for bodybuilding.
- Ali, who spent his childhood in utter penury and had to suffer a lot, being a non-white, became the biggest name in all of sports.
- The penury is often due to his drinking away the cash his brother sends.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of penury
- penury = jab ‘pen’ khareedne ke liye ‘ruppee’ khatam ho jaaye, samjh lena penury aa gayi hai