(verb) deny or contradict (a fact or statement) “it was difficult to gainsay his claim”
(verb) speak against or oppose (someone) “none could gainsay her”
Gainsay meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
विरोध करना, चुनौती देना, खण्डन करना, प्रतिवाद करना, अस्वीकार करना
- Middle English: from obsolete gain- ‘against’ + say.
Gainsay in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- “There is no gainsay from such statements,” Mr. Diwan pointed out.
- “There is then no gainsay in the fact that transgenders enjoy basic human rights including protection from violence and discrimination.
- He was a perfectionist, but he will gainsay it for that’s what invariably makes him a perfectionist.
- If these demanding practices help Muslims find peace and God, no one has a right to gainsay them.
- But he also makes points that officials struggle to gainsay.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of gainsay
- gainsay = gain weight?? say it… don’t deny… don’t gainsay
- (verb) dismiss (someone or something) as unimportant.“the opposition belittled the government’s successes”
Belittle (बिलिटल) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- अपमान करना, अनादर करना , छोटा करना या समझना
- 1775-85, Americanism; be- + little
Belittle in a sentence (word usage in newspaper)
- In no way am I trying to belittle anyone with a chronic condition. I truly empathize and sympathize with others fighting a chronic beast.
- He never uttered a word but here on the huge amount of Rs 1.25 lakh crore, he is seeking to criticise it, undo it, belittle it,” he said.
- Qureshi purports to belittle Saif by using girlie terms of endearment like ‘Meri Jaan’, ‘Meri Bachchi’.
- In this six-minute video, Fox hosts and guests repeatedly belittle, insult, harass, and objectify women.
- But as a professional, you should always be mature even if some tries to belittle what you have achieved.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of belittle
- Belittle – ‘beta’ tuh ‘little’ hai… jaa bache jaa
Belittle – Explaination
- (verb) cause surprise or confusion in (someone), especially by not according with their expectations.“the inflation figure confounded economic analysts”
- (verb) mix up (something) with something else.“he was forever confounding managerialism with idealism”
- (verb) to contradict or refute; to confound their arguments.
- (verb) prove (a theory or expectation) wrong; “the rise in prices confounded expectations”
Confound meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- उलझाना, गड़बड़ करना, उलझन में डालना, हरा देना
- Middle English: from Old French confondre, from Latin confundere ‘pour together, mix up’
Confound in a sentence (usage in newspaper)
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of confound
- confound = confusion found
Hum tumme itne ched karengey – Dabangg funny video