(noun) violation or misuse of what is regarded as sacred
Sacrilege (सैक्रलज / सैक्रलिज) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
अपवित्रीकरण, पवित्र वस्तुओं का अनादर, पवित्र वस्तुओं की चोरी, पुण्य वस्तु दूषण
- Middle English: via Old French from Latin sacrilegium, from sacrilegus ‘stealer of sacred things’, from sacer, sacr- ‘sacred’ + legere ‘take possession of’.
Sacrilege in a sentence (word usage in newspaper)
- Punjab Cabinet approves life term for acts of sacrilege.
- Incidents of sacrilege of Sikh scriptures were reported from Amritsar and Ferozepur districts on Tuesday.
- Kejriwal visits turmoil-hit Punjab, condemns sacrilege acts.
- Man held for sacrilege attempt in Ludhiana.
- Addressing a gathering, he said: “The sacrilege of Guru Granth Sahib has caused immense pain not only to Sikhs, but also to the humanity.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of sacrilege
- Sacrilege = Sacred + leg, touching leg to sacred objects = Sacrilege
Two held in the sacrilege of Sri Guru Granth Sahib at Ludhiana