- (verb) jump or dive quickly and energetically; “Joy stripped her clothes off and plunged into the sea”
- (verb) fall suddenly and uncontrollably; “the aircraft plunged to the ground”
- (verb) embark impetuously on a speech or course of action; “he came to a decision, and plunged on before he had time to reconsider it”
- (verb) suffer a rapid decrease in value; “shares in the company plunged 18p on news that profits had fallen”
- (verb) (of a ship) pitch; “the ship plunged through the 20-foot seas”
- (verb) (of a horse) rear violently; “the frightened horse plunged and bolted”
- (verb) push or thrust quickly; “he plunged his hands into his pockets”
- (verb) quickly immerse in liquid; “plunge the pears into a bowl of cold water”
- (verb) suddenly bring into a specified condition or state; “the room was plunged into darkness”
- (verb) sink (a pot containing a plant) in the ground; “pot up and plunge spring-flowering bulbs”
- (noun) an act of jumping or diving into water; “a plunge into the deep end of the pool”
- (noun) a swift and drastic fall in value or amount; “the central bank declared a 76% plunge in its profits”
- take the plunge — commit oneself to a course of action about which one is nervous;“she wondered whether to enter for the race, but decided to take the plunge”
Plunge (प्लन्ज) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- गोता, छलांग, डुबकी, प्रवेश, तैरने का तालाब, कूद, डुबाना, डूबना, प्रवेश करना, गोता लगाना, किसी काम में मग्न हो जाना, झटके से डालना, उछाल आना, ग़ोता लगाना, कूदना
- late Middle English: from Old French plungier ‘thrust down’, based on Latin plumbum ‘lead, plummet’.
Plunge in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- More than 250 people took the plunge at Lake Fenton.
- Political donations plunge to $16.7m – down from average $25ma year.
- Temperatures to plunge to -5.
- Big Oil Companies Finished 2018 Strong Despite Plunge in Oil Prices.
- In Spain, international adoptions plunge while surrogacy grows.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of plunge
- sound like “put lung in water”
- (verb) voluntarily cease to keep or claim; give up; “he offered to relinquish his post as acting President”
Relinquish (रिलिंगक्विश) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- छोड़ना, त्यागना, त्याग देना, छोड़ देना, अलग करना, अलग कर देना. हाथ उठा लेना
- late Middle English: from Old French relinquiss-, lengthened stem of relinquir, from Latin relinquere, from re- (expressing intensive force) + linquere ‘to leave’.
Relinquish in a sentence (word usage from recent newspaper)
- MSK Prasad backs Dhoni’s decision to relinquish captaincy.
- Train derailments: Prabhu asks officers to act or relinquish.
- Ratan Tata to relinquish post of chairperson of Tata Trust next year.
- Anthony J. Reardon will relinquish his current operational duties but continue as executive chairman of ducommun.
- When contacted, Roy said for a fair probe, there is a need on the part of the Home Minister to relinquish his post.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of relinquish
- relinquish = release your wish
ABJURE Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi translation with picture dictionary
- (verb) formally reject or disavow a formerly held belief, usually under pressure; “She abjured her beliefs”
Abjure (ऐब्जुर) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- संत्याग करना, अस्वीकार करना, औपचारिक रूप से त्याग करना, शपथपूर्वक त्याग करना, त्यागना
- late Middle English: from Latin abjurare, from ab- ‘away’ + jurare ‘swear’.
Abjure in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Shanmuganathan asks outfits to abjure path of violence.
- One will not become patriotic by shouting slogans; one has to abjure the sentiment of enmity, violence, vigilantism and vengeance.
- PM Narendra Modi asks Naxals to abjure violence.
- There will be no talks unless they abjure violence.
- This in itself will ensure officers abjure errant behaviour.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of abjure
- Salmaan khan saying “ab” “jury” ke saamne kasam khata hun kabhi drink and drive nahi karunga.
Sholay – Gabbar Singh’s before abjuring violence
Vestige Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi translation with picture Dictionary
(noun) a trace or remnant of something that is disappearing or no longer exists; “the last vestiges of colonialism”
(noun) the smallest amount; “she showed no vestige of emotion”
(Biology) a part or organ of an organism which has become reduced or functionless in the course of evolution.
Vestige (वेस्टिज) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
चिह्न, निशान, पता, शेष, अवशेष
- late Middle English: from French, from Latin vestigium ‘footprint’.
Vestige in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- General Jacob was the last vestige of a dying Jewish community in India.
- The wall is revered as a vestige of Judaism’s two ancient temples and access to it is segregated by gender.
- Clarke is the last vestige of Ponting’s once-in-a-lifetime squad and with his retirement my enthusiasm for the game has diminished sharply.
- The only vestige of humanity and Indianness came from Akhlaq’s son, an Indian Air Force employee, who spoke about the incident.
- Nahoum’s, the city’s last surviving Jewish bakery, remains a vestige of that dwindling heritage.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of word vestige
- vestige -> in + (vestigate) = link it to remains/traces
Jurassic Park cloning video
Abdicate Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi translation with picture dictionary
- (verb) to renounce or relinquish a throne, right, power, claim, responsibility, or the like, especially in a formal manner; “in 1918 Kaiser Wilhelm abdicated as German emperor”
- (verb) fail to fulfil or undertake (a responsibility or duty); “the government was accused of abdicating its responsibility”
Abdicate (ऐब्डकेट / ऐब्डकैट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- त्यागना, त्याग करना, पद त्याग करना, छोड़ देना, गद्दी छोड़ देना
- mid 16th century: from Latin abdicat- ‘renounced’, from the verb abdicare, from ab- ‘away, from’ + dicare ‘declare’.
Abdicate in a sentence (usage in newspaper)
- Working after office hours is a unique prerogative of the Indian male who is socialised to abdicate from housework and child-rearing duties.
- A state cannot abdicate its responsibility in the guise of PPP, said Congress state president Sachin Pilot.
- Then should the State abdicate its constitutional duty of providing free and compulsory education to children.
- He wanted Tamil Nadu to abdicate the present power purchase policy totally and review all the agreements signed so far.
- The present debate shows the state wants to abdicate its responsibility and hand over education to private interests.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of abdicate
- ab + dictator = ab dictator (ruler) nai hi apna pad chhod diya
Headlines at 8:30: Spain’s King Juan Carlos to abdicate throne