- (noun) a narrow valley between hills or mountains, typically with steep rocky walls and a
- (noun) stream running through it.
- (noun) the throat.
- (noun) the crop of a hawk.
- (noun) the contents of the stomach.
- (noun) a narrow rear entrance to a bastion, outwork, or other fortification.
- (noun) a mass of ice obstructing a narrow passage, especially a river.
(Verb) eat a large amount greedily; fill oneself with food. “they gorged themselves on Cornish cream teas”
Gorge meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- तंग घाटी, पूरा पूरा भर देना, भकोसना, कण्ठ, पर्वत के बीच का संकुचित मार्ग, बहुत खा जाना, बहुत पेट भर खा जाना, रोक, लालची की तरह खाना, स्र्कावट
- Middle English (as a verb): from Old French gorger, from gorge ‘throat’, based on Latin gurges ‘whirlpool’. The noun originally meant ‘throat’ and is from Old French gorge ; gorge (sense 1 of the noun) dates from the mid 18th century.
Gorge in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Uttarakhand: 9 children die as school bus falls in gorge, Nine children were killed and three others were injured after a school bus fell in a gorge in Lambgaon, Uttarakhand on Tuesday morning.
- 8 killed, nine injured as van plunges into Tamil Nadu gorge, At least eight persons, including three minors, were killed and nine others injured in a road accident in Tamil Nadu’s Trichy on Sunday.
- Three dead, 12 injured as vehicle falls into gorge in J&K, Three persons were killed and 12 others injured, eight of them seriously, when the vehicle in which they were travelling skidded off the road …
- Woman Pushed Into Deep Gorge by Live-in Partner on Way to Meet …, Dehradun: A woman from Delhi suffered grievous injuries after she was pushed into a deep gorge by her live-in partner at Uttarakhand’s Pauri …
- Spicy wadas and pouring rain: Monsoon is the time to gorge on fried …, Similar fried dumplings are made from various lentils in different parts of India. In South India, one can get vadas made out of channa dal and …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Gorge
- gorge: eat too much disgorge: vomit
- remember a person GEORGE who always GORGES