- a very poor person; “he died a pauper”
Pauper meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- कंगाल, दरिद्र, भिक्षुक, भिखारी
- late 15th century: from Latin, literally ‘poor’. The word’s use in English originated in the Latin legal phrase in forma pauperis, literally ‘in the form of a poor person’ (allowing non-payment of costs).
Pauper in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- He set up what is perhaps the most respected “pauper’s hospital”.
- Chemistry Nobel laureate dies a pauper.
- A prince dies a pauper.
- State may be pauper but Badal is the highest paid CM in India.
- Mallya makes a distinction between his personal fortune and his professional fortune (or lack of it); he is thus both a millionaire and a pauper.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of pauper
- pauper = pau + per, agar ‘pau’ bread ‘per’ jinda rehna padde toh samjh jaana ‘pauper’ ban gaye