- (noun) an instrument that measures and gives a visual display of the amount, level, or contents of something. “a fuel gauge”
- (noun) a tool for checking whether something conforms to a desired dimension. “mark out the details of the angled surfaces with a knife and gauge”
- (noun) a means of estimating something. “emigration is perhaps the best gauge of public unease”
- (noun) the thickness, size, or capacity of something, especially as a standard measure.
- (noun) the diameter of a wire, fibre, tube, etc. “a fine 0.018-inch gauge wire”
- (noun) a measure of the diameter of a gun barrel, or of its ammunition, expressed as the number of spherical pieces of shot of the same diameter as the barrel that can be made from 1 lb (454 g) of lead. “a 12-gauge shotgun”
- (noun) the thickness of sheet metal or plastic. “500-gauge polythene”
- (noun) the distance between the rails of a line of railway track. “the line was laid to a gauge of 2 ft 9 ins”
- (noun) the position of a sailing ship to windward ( the weather gage ) or leeward ( the lee gage ) of another. “the French fleet was heavily outnumbered but had the weather gage”
- (verb) estimate or determine the amount, level, or volume of. “astronomers can gauge the star’s intrinsic brightness”
- (verb) judge or assess (a situation, mood, etc.). “she was unable to gauge his mood”
- (verb) measure the dimensions of (an object) with a gauge. “when dry the assemblies can be gauged exactly”
Gauge meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- नापना, मापना, माप, आंकना, मानदंड, गेज, नाप, मापक, भाँपना, अनुमान, एक सा करना, ठीक-ठीक नापना, नाप, पट्टी का झीना कपड़ा, पैमाना, पैमाना बनाना, मापना, रेल की लाइन का अन्तर, विस्तार
- Middle English (denoting a standard measure): from Old French gauge (noun), gauger (verb), variant of Old Northern French jauge (noun), jauger (verb), of unknown origin.
Gauge in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- India Services Gauge Remains in Contraction Zone in October, India’s main services index signaled a contraction for a second straight month, the weakest stretch since 2017, amid a prolonged economic …
- RB enters male grooming category in India with hair removal …, “Male grooming is a big trend among Indian consumers who are … from online searches to gauge demand for such products in the market.
- Kartarpur corridor: Pakistan adopting uncooperative attitude, … Sahib gurudwara in Pakistan, India was looking at sending an advance team to gauge the arrangements made, the person cited above said. ,
- India to work with China, Pakistan to gauge impact of climate …, To better gauge the impact of climate change on the Hindu Kush mountains, which includes the Himalayas, and spruce up data-gathering, the …
- Indian businesses buoyant about growth amid global …, According to the report, 96% of companies surveyed in India are … The gauge contracted by 5.2% in September from a growth of 4.3% in the …
How to Pronounce Gauge