- (adj) having a harmful effect, especially in a gradual or subtle way; “the pernicious influences of the mass media”
Pernicious (पर्निशस) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- घातक, दुखदाई, नाशक, हानिकारक
- late Middle English: from Latin perniciosus ‘destructive’, from pernicies ‘ruin’, based on nex, nec- ‘death’.
Pernicious in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Politicians and government functionaries to benefit from favourable laws and tax concessions, crony socialism is equally pernicious.
- So, a team comprising young, tech-savvy clerics is being mooted to counter the pernicious propaganda.
- The real issue though, is still poaching of tigers, which is a pernicious, international and persistent problem.
- The pernicious effect of loan continues many years after graduation. The student is forced to find employment by the end of her studies.
- Rajan said high inflation has “pernicious effects” on the weaker sections.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of pernicious
- kya ‘parinde’ (bird) ka meat pernicious (harmful) ho sakta hai?
Madhuri dixit requests Shahrukh khan to quit smoking