- (adj) different to what is normal or expected; strange. “he gave her some very peculiar looks”
- (adj) slightly and indefinably unwell. “I felt a little peculiar for a while”
- (adj) particular; special. “any attempt to explicate the theme is bound to run into peculiar difficulties”
- (adj) belonging exclusively to. “some languages are peculiar to one region”
- (noun) a parish or church exempt from the jurisdiction of the diocese in which it lies, and subject to the direct jurisdiction of the monarch or an archbishop. “deans and canons of royal peculiars, notably Westminster Abbey and Windsor”
Peculiar meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- अजीब, असामान्य, विचित्र, निराला, खास, विशेष, व्यक्तिगत, बीमार
- late Middle English (in the sense ‘particular’): from Latin peculiaris ‘of private property’, from peculium‘property’, from pecu ‘cattle’ (cattle being private property). The sense ‘strange’ dates from the early 17th century.
Peculiar in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Opinion: The peculiar Indian curse of ‘first-class first’, As the Indian team, the tournament favourite, exited the cricket World Cup after losing to New Zealand, Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted …
- Mumbai: Fines for cattle on roads to rise 300%, MUMBAI: To a traveller, the one peculiar constant on the Indian landscape is the presence of cattle on our roads. BMC has now decided to take …
- Kodaikanal’s ‘hill garlic’ gets GI tag, As for its uniqueness, the application said: “Kodaikanal Hill Garlic is very peculiar than other varieties cultivated throughout India. The pungent …
- Chandrayaan-2: a successful launch will give India a strategic …, This is India’s second lunar moon mission, and includes a lunar orbiter, a lander (Vikram), … We really need to address these peculiar lacunae.
- The peculiar case of illegal encroachments in Mumbai and snail’s .., The Dongri building collapse which claimed 13 lives and injured 25 people on Tuesday is still fresh in the minds of people. Maharashtra Chief …