- (noun) a device with a small spike or a spiked wheel that is worn on a rider’s heel and used for urging a horse forward.
- (noun) a thing that prompts or encourages someone; an incentive. “wars act as a spur to practical invention”
- (noun) a projection from a mountain or mountain range. “it’s an easy walk up the spur that leads to the summit”
- (noun) a small, single-pointed support for ceramic ware in a kiln.
- (verb) urge (a horse) forward by digging one’s spurs into its sides. “she spurred her horse towards the hedge”
- (verb) give an incentive or encouragement to (someone). “her sons’ passion for computer games spurred her on to set up a software business”
- (verb) prune in (a side shoot of a plant) so as to form a spur close to the stem. “spur back the lateral shoots”
Spur meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- उकसाव, उत्साहन, एड़, कांटा, खांग, गांठ, ठोकर, प्रेरणा, प्रोत्साहन, एड़, पर्वत स्कन्ध, छोटा रस्ता, मुख्य मार्ग से निकला हुआ रास्ता, कंट, पर्वत-स्कंध, महमेज़, एड़ लगाना, छोड़ना, दौड़ना, प्रेरित करना, प्रोत्साहित करना, उसकाना, उभाड़ना, उकसाना, ऐड़ मारना
- Old English spora, spura, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch spoor and German Sporn, also to spurn.
Spur in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- MGNREGA may see 30% hike in budgetary funds to spur rural jobs …, The allocation towards Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS), the flagship rural job programme
- Lane closures on The Spur begin Monday, Heads up if you’re driving through the Smokies this week. expect some lane closures and delays as the park begins maintenance work on the …
- Record international iron ore prices spur lower grade exports from India, Odisha alone has in excess of 100 million tonnes of inferior grade iron ore accumulated at mine heads; this ore lacks takers in India. More such …
- Third generation 2020 Bentley Flying Spur to be unveiled globally on …, The Flying Spur is slated to be unveiled globally on June 11, 2019. And the luxury touring sedan is expected to land on the Indian soil by early …
- Next Indian govt seen relying on RBI rate cuts to spur growth, India’s slowing economy will need a boost soon after the current election but budget stresses mean New Delhi probably has to rely on the …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Spur
- spur gear is spiked wheel that is used in gear of automobiles, which ENCOURAGES the wheel to move forward
- spur means leg. Kick with the leg to push someone front. A child uses leg to move forward by kicking its leg against a any base.
🇳🇵 🇮🇳 Nepal-India water disputes spur farming crisis | Al Jazeera English