- (verb) subject (someone) to hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of their race or political or religious beliefs; “no one should be persecuted for their religious beliefs”
- (verb) harass or annoy (someone) persistently; “she complained of being persecuted by the press”
Persecute (पर्सक्यूट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- सताना, कष्ट देना, अत्याचार करना, तंग करना, पीछे पड़ना, कष्ट पहुंचाना, ज़ुल्म करना
- late Middle English: from Old French persecuter, from Latin persecut- ‘followed with hostility’, from the verb persequi, from per- ‘through, utterly’ + sequi ‘follow, pursue’.
Persecute in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Radical Muslims persecute Coptic Christians in Egypt.
- These kind of incidents happen throughout the country where policemen persecute poor for petty bribes.
- Mr Mann’s party has said that he is not guilty of the charges levelled and that other parties are colluding to persecute him.
- The Modi government seems to be gripped by a classic persecution complex while it seeks to persecute others.
- Beef Agenda: Another Tool To Persecute Muslims And Christians.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of persecute
- pursue = follow, if you pursue cute girl for long time, you are persecuting her.