- (noun) the holding or expression of opinions at variance with those commonly or officially held. “there was no dissent from this view”
- (noun) refusal to accept the doctrines of an established or orthodox Church; nonconformity. “rural communities with a long tradition of Dissent”
- (noun) (in sport) the offence of expressing disagreement with the referee’s decision. “he was sent off for dissent”
- (noun) a statement by a judge giving reasons as to why he or she disagrees with a decision made by the other judges in a court case. “he wasted no time in cranking out nine majority opinions, as well as three dissents”
- (verb) hold or express opinions that are at variance with those commonly or officially held. “two members dissented from the majority”
- (verb) disagree with the doctrine of an established or orthodox Church.
Dissent meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- मतभेद होना, असहमत होना, असहमति, मतभेद, अस्वीकार, अस्वीकृति, विमति, विसम्मति, अन्यथा विचारना, असम्मति, एतराज़ करना, नाइत्तिफ़ाक़ी, मतभेद, मतभेद करना, विचार-विभिन्नता, विरोध करना
- late Middle English: from Latin dissentire ‘differ in sentiment’.
Dissent in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- In Kulbhushan Jadhav verdict, US, China may go with Pakistan and …, With judges from India and Pakistan part of the 16-judge bench at the … judgment with US and China likely to Dissent along with Pakistan.
- Threat to speech: Law ‘designed to suppress the liberty of the citizen …, An open environment where Dissent is not crushed, only makes for a stronger … The critics claimed our aim was “tarnishing India’s international …
- Amid rise in lynching cases, 49 celebrities write to PM Modi; say …, … 49 celebrities write to PM Modi; say ‘Dissent makes India stronger’ … is sacred to many in the majority community of India… put a stop to the …
- Indian Celebrities Protest Attacks on Dissent , Minorities, NEW DELHI — Dozens of Indian celebrities have asked Prime Minister … by Hindu hard-liners and intolerance against Dissent in the country.
- Assembly is a place to Dissent : Speaker P Sreeramakrishnan, He said that President of India should take the initiative to reach a consensus among all political parties to prevent defectionsKerala Media …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Dissent
- dis+assent=> opposite of agreement=>to refute
- dissent..i dont agree with this(dis) sent(scent-perfume)..i hate it..disagreement
Youthquake: Freedom To Dissent