- (verb) (of a person, animal, or plant) lose or lack vitality; grow weak. “plants may appear to be languishing simply because they are dormant”
- (verb) fail to make progress or be successful. “Kelso languish near the bottom of the Scottish First Division”
- (verb) pine with love or grief. “she still languished after Richard”
- (verb) assume a sentimentally tender or melancholy expression or tone. “when a visitor comes in, she smiles and languishes”
- (verb) be forced to remain in an unpleasant place or situation. “he has been languishing in jail since 1974”
Languish meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- दिन काटना, कम होना, गिराना, क्षीण होना, दुर्बल होना, मंद होना, मुरझाना, शिथिल होना
- Middle English (in the sense ‘become faint, feeble, or ill’): from Old French languiss-, lengthened stem of languir ‘languish’, from a variant of Latin languere, related to laxus ‘loose, lax’.
Languish in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Persons with disabilities languish waiting for assistance in India, India in recent years has made strides to protect the rights of individuals with disabilities, passing in 2016 a game-changing bill which instituted …
- Language courses languish at varsity, Even MNCs in India prefer certificates from universities. All courses, from the basic four-month certificate course to the advanced diploma …
- India Squad for West Indies Tour 2019: Plight of the backbenchers …. be under-selling them, as they could languish and get disillusioned.
- India’s hydro power development – Need for action beyond recent …, The state of hydro power in India has not been encouraging due to all …. balancing power, hydro power development continues to languish.
- ‘Cut-money’ not confined to Bengal, it is a pan-Indian reality, Welfare schemes will languish. The wheels of India’s development are running on the cut money system. This is Mr. Modi’s golden opportunity …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Languish
- sounds like EXTINGUISH-wen a person losing strength aur virality or become exhausted then we say that he is extinghuishing
- you languish when you are in anguish.