- (adj) Necessary for (someone) as a duty or responsibility. “the government realized that it was incumbent on them to act”
- (adj) (of an official or regime) currently holding office. “the incumbent President was defeated”
- (adj) (of a company) having a sizeable share of a market. “powerful incumbent airlines”
- (noun) the holder of an office or post. “the present incumbent will soon be retiring”
- (noun) the holder of an ecclesiastical benefice.
Incumbent meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- पदस्थ, पदाधिकारी, कर्तव्य, पदधारी, पदस्थ
- late Middle English (as a noun): from Anglo-Latin incumbens, incumbent-, from Latin incumbere ‘lie or lean on’, from in- ‘upon’ + a verb related to cubare ‘lie’.
Incumbent in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Reminder to 2020 Democrats: Incumbents do not just win, they get …, Democrats have two precedents for beating Trump, but just one alternative: Scandal. Incumbent presidents are hard to beat, which is why …
- Former skipper Ganguly says he hopes to be India’s cricket coach in …, The hunt is on for the new India coach with incumbent Ravi Shastri’s tenure coming to an end with the conclusion of the tour of the West Indies.
- Is it time to give Rohit Sharma the reigns of the Indian T20 team?, Following India’s loss at the ODI World Cup of 2007, the then-incumbent selection committee did just that and it gave birth to perhaps India’s …
- SEBI voices concern over related party transactions ,Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) on August 3 … It was incumbent upon the managements for sticking to compliance and key …
- Reliance Jio gains from incumbents‘ loss in rural India, says Trai report ,Analysts say this is the impact of Jio making further inroads into the hinterland as incumbent telcos continue to lose subscribers there.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Incumbent
- incumbent -> read the word from back side as: determination(bent) to come(cum) in(in)
office at time.
- Those people who are bent to bring incum(income) work in office