- (verb) prevent (someone) from accomplishing something. “he never did anything to thwart his father”
- (verb) oppose (a plan, attempt, or ambition) successfully. “the government had been able to thwart all attempts by opposition leaders to form new parties”
- (noun) a structural crosspiece forming a seat for a rower in a boat.
Thwart meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- Middle English thwerte, from the adjective thwert ‘perverse, obstinate, adverse’, from Old Norse thvert, neuter of thverr ‘transverse’, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin torquere ‘to twist’.
Thwart in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- UK navy heard in audio trying to thwart Iran ship seizure, ALSO READ: India in touch with Iran to secure release of Indians aboard British-flagged ship. The free flow of traffic through the Strait of …
- Jamshedpur: Villagers worship jumbos to thwart attacks in Jharkhand …, JAMSHEDPUR: Religious belief cannot be justified by scientific debate. Located in the dense hilly forest area in the Dalma Wildlife Sanctuary …
- Pakistan tries to thwart extradition of Dawood’s top aide to US, Sources close to Indian agencies informed IANS that the Pakistan High Commission in London had earlier tried to thwart the extradition move …
- Kottayam: Selfie helps thwart youth’s suicide bid, KOTTAYAM: Selfie attempts on railway tracks often lead to tragic consequences. But in a role reversal, a selfie shared by a youth with his …
- Police thwart bid to steal sandalwood, They have registered a case against the unidentified smugglers under Section 380 read with 511 of the Indian Penal Code. A special team has …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Thwart
- Thwart or Obstruct is to prevent someone from doing something.
- thWARt concentrate on WAR[against enemy,against opponents DESIRE]