- (verb) attempt to sell (something), typically by a direct or persistent approach. “Sanjay was touting his wares”
- (verb) attempt to persuade people of the merits of. “she was touted as a potential Prime Minister”
- (verb) sell (a ticket) for an event at a price higher than the official one.
“he made his fortune touting tickets”
- (verb) offer racing tips for a share of any resulting winnings.
- (verb) spy out the movements and condition of (a racehorse in training) in order to gain information to be used when betting.
- (noun) a person who buys up tickets for an event to resell them at a profit.
- (noun) a person who offers racing tips for a share of any resulting winnings.
Tout meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- दलाल, टाउट, ग्राहक खोजनेवाला, खुल्लमखुल्ला प्रचार करने वाला, गुप्त सूचना देने वाला, इतराना, ढूंढना, प्रस्तुत करना, शेखी बघारना, तलाश करना, दलाली करना, ग्राहकों को बुलाना, दलाली कर, टाउट करना.
- Middle English tute ‘look out’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch tuit ‘spout, nozzle’. Later senses were ‘watch, spy on’ (late 17th century) and ‘solicit custom’ (mid 18th century). The noun was first recorded (early 18th century) in the slang use ‘thieves’ lookout’.
Tout in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Apple WWDC 2019: What to Expect, Apple also likes to tout the medical benefits of using an Apple Watch, so don’t be surprised if the company introduces new health-related …
- Oppo Reno series confirmed to launch in India on May 28, Oppo has confirmed it’s bringing the Reno series to India on May 28. … The phones tout a new shark fin-designed pop-up selfie camera.
- Intel unveils 10nm Ice Lake chips, Codenamed Ice Lake, the new processor’s tout an 18% increase in IPC performance over the Skylake generation. Intel says the gains are even …
- Bhopal: Alert staffers nab tout ‘offering jobs’ at AIIMS, BHOPAL: A man was apprehended for illegally carrying out job recruitment within the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here on …
- Name and shame touts at RTOs, NEW DELHI: Harassed by touts at the regional transport office? You can now click pictures or videos of touts roaming around RTOs and send …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Tout
- tout: shout to promote (to publicly praise or promote)
- improve the previous mnemonic…imagine a stout person praising his muscles
The Biggest Hassle for Foreigners in India (Dealing with Touts)