- (verb) lie or crawl abjectly on the ground with one’s face downwards; “George grovelled at his feet”
- (verb) act obsequiously in order to obtain forgiveness or favour; “they dislike leaders who grovel to foreign patrons”
Grovel (ग्रवल / ग्रावल) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- रेंगना, गिड़गिड़ाना, विनीत भाव दरसाना
- Middle English: back-formation from the obsolete adverb grovelling, from obsolete groof, grufe ‘the face or front’ (in the phrase on grufe, from Old Norse á grúfu ‘face downwards’) + the suffix -ling .
Grovel in a sentence (Word usage in recent newspaper)
- We love to snivel and grovel in front of those in power with all that feet touching brown nosing stuff.
- After all it is your life’s mission to grovel in front of that corrupt family.
- You have to swallow your pride and have to grovel a bit.
- We’ll make them grovel.
- Clearly it’s time for Obama to bow to and grovel before China’s leaders.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of grovel
- if you want to “grow” + “well” –> grovel before your boss