- (verb) jump or dive quickly and energetically; “Joy stripped her clothes off and plunged into the sea”
- (verb) fall suddenly and uncontrollably; “the aircraft plunged to the ground”
- (verb) embark impetuously on a speech or course of action; “he came to a decision, and plunged on before he had time to reconsider it”
- (verb) suffer a rapid decrease in value; “shares in the company plunged 18p on news that profits had fallen”
- (verb) (of a ship) pitch; “the ship plunged through the 20-foot seas”
- (verb) (of a horse) rear violently; “the frightened horse plunged and bolted”
- (verb) push or thrust quickly; “he plunged his hands into his pockets”
- (verb) quickly immerse in liquid; “plunge the pears into a bowl of cold water”
- (verb) suddenly bring into a specified condition or state; “the room was plunged into darkness”
- (verb) sink (a pot containing a plant) in the ground; “pot up and plunge spring-flowering bulbs”
- (noun) an act of jumping or diving into water; “a plunge into the deep end of the pool”
- (noun) a swift and drastic fall in value or amount; “the central bank declared a 76% plunge in its profits”
- take the plunge — commit oneself to a course of action about which one is nervous;“she wondered whether to enter for the race, but decided to take the plunge”
Plunge (प्लन्ज) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- गोता, छलांग, डुबकी, प्रवेश, तैरने का तालाब, कूद, डुबाना, डूबना, प्रवेश करना, गोता लगाना, किसी काम में मग्न हो जाना, झटके से डालना, उछाल आना, ग़ोता लगाना, कूदना
- late Middle English: from Old French plungier ‘thrust down’, based on Latin plumbum ‘lead, plummet’.
Plunge in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- More than 250 people took the plunge at Lake Fenton.
- Political donations plunge to $16.7m – down from average $25ma year.
- Temperatures to plunge to -5.
- Big Oil Companies Finished 2018 Strong Despite Plunge in Oil Prices.
- In Spain, international adoptions plunge while surrogacy grows.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of plunge
- sound like “put lung in water”
Abet Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi translation with picture dictionary
- (verb) encourage or assist (someone) to do something wrong, in particular to commit a crime; “he was not guilty of murder, but guilty of aiding and abetting others”
Abet (अबेट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- उकसाना, अपराध आदि में सहायक होना, बुरे काम के लिये उकसाना, सहयोग देना, बढ़ावा देना
- late Middle English (in the sense ‘urge to do something good or bad’): from Old French abeter, from a- (from Latin ad ‘to, at’) + beter ‘hound, urge on’.
Abet in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Hang officials who abet lake encroachments, says Speaker.
- Social media and online media will continue to aid and abet terrorists with spreading their message and reaching new generations of recruits.
- We also arrested another young man, Ameen Ali, from the same premises for helping Muzamil abet the crime.
- China could initiate and enhance its support for militants in the Indian northeast, or worse, encourage and abet Pakistan’s proxy warriors.
- Digital currency to abet money laundering: Report
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of abet
- abet = “aa” + “bet” lagate hai, you can’t kill a tiger
Akshay Kumar abetting the crime
Admonish Vocab Meme Dicitionary – English to Hindi translation with pictures
- (verb) to caution, advise, or counsel against something
- (verb) to reprove or scold, especially in a mild and good-willed manner:
“The teacher admonished him about excessive noise”
- (verb) to urge to a duty; remind, “to admonish them about their obligations”
Admonish (ऐड्मानिश) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- सावधान करना, कान खोलना, नम्रता से झिड़कना, साधारण चेतावनी देना, गम्भीरता से सलाह देना
- Middle English amonest ‘urge, exhort’, from Old French amonester, based on Latin admonere ‘urge by warning’
Admonish in a sentence (usage in newspaper)
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of admonish
- Mom admonishing ” beta so jao nahi De-mon aa jaayega”
Sunny Deol Admonishing 🙂