- (adj) denoting a period of time in the past that was idyllically happy and peaceful; “the halcyon days of the 1960s”
- (noun) a mythical bird said to breed at the time of the winter solstice in a nest floating on the sea and to have the power of calming the winds and waves.
- (Greek mythology) a woman who was turned into a kingfisher.
Halcyon (हैल्सीअन) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- शांत, खुशगवार, शान्तिपूर्ण
- late Middle English (in the mythological sense): via Latin from Greek alkuōn ‘kingfisher’ (also halkuōn, by association with hals ‘sea’ and kuōn ‘conceiving’).
Halcyon in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Australian fans no longer take those halcyon days for granted after a barren period without a legspinner.
- Those halcyon years.
- Perhaps those halcyon days of the “mixed economy” were not meant to last long.
- I’m not expecting a return to those halcyon days.
- Those Halcyon Days in Winter.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of halcyon
- halcyon bole toh halke din … halka halka sa yeh nasha… 🙂
Reticent Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi Translation with pictures
- (adj) not revealing one’s thoughts or feelings readily.“Mannu was extremely reticent about her personal affairs”
Reticent (रेटिसन्ट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- मौन रहने वाला,अल्पभाषी,कम बोलने वाला
reticent vs reluctant
reticent vs taciturn
Reticent in a sentence (usage in Newspaper)
- Four Reasons Republicans Seem Reticent in Menendez Case
- Sunil Narine has, perhaps, become even more reticent but his confidence hasn’t been shattered.
- If the grapevine is to be believed, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, usually reticent to speak out, or interact with media-persons ever since he became PM.
- he usually reticent Rahul’s image as a politician has got a complete makeover since his “suit-boot-ki-sarkar” speech last week.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Reticent
- Reti- cent –> Rota hua saint, humesha reticent hi dikhega
Is Obama too reticent on race?
Taciturn Vocab Meme +1 Vocabulary Word to your Wordlist
Taciturn [tas-i-turn] (adjective)
- Reserved or uncommunicative in speech; saying little
Difference between taciturn and introvert
Taciturn Word Usage:
- Indian’s taciturn Prime Minister.
Taciturn Word Usage in News: