- (noun) a threatened penalty for disobeying a law or rule. “a range of sanctions aimed at deterring insider abuse”
- (noun) official permission or approval for an action. “he appealed to the bishop for his sanction”
- (verb) give official permission or approval for (an action).“the scheme was sanctioned by the court”
- (verb) impose a sanction or penalty on.“foreigners in France illegally should be sent home, their employers sanctioned and border controls tightened up”
Sanction meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- शास्ति, स्वीकृति, अनुमोदन, अनुशास्ति, आश्रय, दण्ड, दृढ़ीकरण, प्रतिबंध, प्रमाण, मंजूरी, मंजूर करना, स्वीकृति देना, अनुमति देना, आज्ञा देना, अनुमोदन करना, मंजूरी देना, अधिकृत करना, दृढ़ करना, दृढ़ करना, मंज़ूर करना, संस्वीकृति
- late Middle English (as a noun denoting an ecclesiastical decree): from French, from Latin sanctio(n- ), from sancire ‘ratify’. The verb dates from the late 18th century.
Sanction in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- As US sanctions kick in, Indian refiners brace for costly crude, Mumbai: With US sanctions on Iran and Venezuela coming into effect on 2 May and Saudi Arabia restraining crude oil output, Indian refiners …
- Saudi Aramco offers to increase oil supply to India, India imported 23.9 mt of crude oil from Iran in FY19, making the Gulf … Though US sanction waiver was lifted from May 2, India is still getting …
- US Sanctions on Iran disrupts India’s oil imports
- sanctions on 19 Iranian officials, and to follow the United …
US Offers Sanction Relief for Those Against Venezuela’s Maduro
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Sanction
- SANCTION or PERMISSION or AUTHORISATION – to get the authority to do something.
- sounds like saction..so a saction of people APPROVING YOUR PLAN.
How To Say Sanction
In Depth – Sanctions on Iran