- (adj) opposite in nature, direction, or meaning. “he ignored contrary advice and agreed on the deal”
- (adj) (of two or more statements, beliefs, etc.) opposed to one another.
“his mother had given him contrary messages”
- (adj) (of a wind) blowing in the opposite direction to one’s course; unfavourable.
- (adj) (of two propositions) so related that one or neither but not both must be true.
- (adj) perversely inclined to disagree or to do the opposite of what is expected or desired. “she is sulky and contrary where her work is concerned”
- (noun) the opposite. “an Act applies only to the United Kingdom unless the contrary is expressed”
- (noun) a contrary proposition.
Contrary meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- विपरीत, प्रतिकूल, विरुद्ध, उलटा, ज़िद्दी, विरोध
- Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French contrarie, from Latin contrarius, from contra ‘against’.
Contrary in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Virat Kohli Eager To “Move On” From India’s World Cup 2019 …, The Indian team could not train ahead of the first T20I due to rain but that didn’t dampen Virat Kohli’s mood at all. On the contrary, the Indian …
- Donald Trump irks India, offers to mediate in Kashmir row again, The secretary reaffirmed the positive trajectory of the US-India … It also seemed contrary to the US’s position that New Delhi is being seen as its …
- View: J&K’s ‘outsiders’ invasion’ bogey, This free and fearless movement and settlement of Kashmiri people across India is not a complaint. On the contrary, it strengthens India as an …
- India skids on GDP runway, Contrary to the build-up, India has slipped two ranks in the World Bank’s GDP pecking order in 2018, and is now the seventh largest economy …
- Contrary To Previous Reports Tata Hexa To Continue Post BS6 …, The Indian auto industry is on the verge of a major upgradation which will require all the vehicles sold in India to comply with the BS6 norms …