- (verb) say something in answer to a remark, typically in a sharp, angry, or witty manner; “‘No need to be rude,’ retorted Isabel”
- (noun) a sharp, angry, or witty reply; “she opened her mouth to make a suitably cutting retort”
- (noun) a container or furnace for carrying out a chemical process on a large or industrial scale; “a laboratory full of bubbling retorts and crackling electrical equipment”
Retort meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Meaning)
- मुंहतोड़ जवाब, कड़ा उत्तर देना
- late 15th century (in the sense ‘hurl back an accusation or insult’): from Latin retort- ‘twisted back, cast back’, from the verb retorquere, from re- ‘in return’ + torquere ‘to twist’.
Retort in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu editorial newspaper)
- Nani’s Retort to a crazy fan is going viral.
- Asked an emotional Mamata Banerjee in her retort to a BJP leader’s comments in which he called the West Bengal chief minister a ‘hijra’.
- People of Kashmir retort, is the Supreme Court oblivious of the fact that Kashmir was peaceful from October 2016 to April 2017!
- Some males bring nesting material, while others weave thin threads into retort-shaped structures.
- In retort, Sooraj said he was a member of the mess and had every right to be there, and allegedly added that he would eat beef inside the mess.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of retort
- resort mein retort mat karna… bhaga denge