(verb) make (someone) so frightened that they are unable to move; “the thought of speaking in public petrified her”
(verb) change into stone; “the petrified remains of prehistoric animals”
Petrify (पेट्रफाइ) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- पत्थर बनाना, कड़ा बनाना, पत्थर हो जाना, हक्का बक्का कर देना, हाथ पाँव फुला देना
- late Middle English: from French pétrifier, from medieval Latin petrificare, from Latin petra ‘rock’, from Greek.
Petrify in a sentence (word usage in newspaper)
- Mathematics used to petrify IT minister K.T. Rama Rao when he was a student.
- He was always good at mimicry and would often accompany the shadows with scary noises that used to petrify me.
- Well, I think this blast, just a few days before the New Year, is clearly an attempt to petrify people who visit Church Street.
- His presence in a press room, in a stadium or a restaurant, is enough to petrify anyone in the first instance.
- My parents used to petrify us with stories when we were children!
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of petrify
- Pertify = ‘pathar’ – fy
I Am Petrified Of Making Mistakes In Front Of The Camera : Amitabh Bachchan