- (adj) (of a state, quality, or emotion) very great or intense; “profound feelings of disquiet”
- (adj) (of a person or statement) having or showing great knowledge or insight; “a profound philosopher”
- (adj) (of a disease or disability) very severe; “a case of profound liver failure”
- (adj) (of a subject or idea) demanding deep study or thought; “expressing profound truths in simple language”
- (noun) the deepest part of something, especially the ocean; “nor billowy surge disturbs the vast profound”
Profound meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- गहरा, गम्भीर, गहन, अत्यंत, महासागर
- Middle English: from Old French profund, from Latin profundus ‘deep’, from Latin pro ‘before’ + fundus ‘bottom’. The word was used earliest in the sense ‘showing deep insight’.
Profound in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Shobhaa De frivolous statement only reflects her profound ignorance of how athletes perform or what motivates them towards excellence.
- The students were in a state of complete shock and profound grief.
- This will have a profound impact on food security and bring us closer to our national goal of doubling farmer incomes by 2020.
- Little and profound emotions have been woven in and the film is sure to give you a lump in the throat.
- India’s energy sector is seeing profound transformations since the past two years.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of profound
- profound = prof. found a deep (profound) secret
- (adj) engaged in, involving, or reflecting deep or serious thought; “a pensive mood”
Pensive (पेन्सिव) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- चिंताग्रस्त, ध्यानपरायण, उदासीन, धयान मगन
- late Middle English: from Old French pensif, -ive, from penser ‘think’, from Latin pensare ‘ponder’, frequentative of pendere ‘weigh’.
Pensive in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- BJP-backed independent candidate Preeti Mahapatra in a pensive mood after she lost the Rajya Sabha election in Lucknow on Saturday.
- It usually starts with the girl worried, pensive and full of self-doubt. It’s just not working out for her. Till she meets the seven day cream. Applies it.
- MS Dhoni Biopic Poster Features a Pensive Sushant Singh Rajput.
- He sounded tired, pensive, almost despondent.
- In another image, 26-year-old Anna looked pensive while filming alongside Teen wolf star Jackson Heywood.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of pensive
- imagine a image with “pen” in your mouth – you will look pensive
Lugubrious [loo–goo-bree-uh s, –gyoo-]
- (adj) excessively mournful
Lugubrious (लुगूब्रीअस / लूग्यूब्रीअस) meaning in Hindi
Lugubrious word usage in recent news (Lugubrious in a sentence)
- That kind of lugubrious tone.
- He sings in such a lugubrious tone as to suggest simultaneously a low rumbling in the caves and a pronouncement from a deity.
- He’s too Welsh and lugubrious.
- Some are “poetic”, some lugubrious, some scathingly self-mocking.
- The old lady blows out her cheeks and assumes a lugubrious expression.
- Two schools of thought that emerged: One, that I just might be tragically right – but who needed such lugubrious news?
- The mood is lugubrious.
Mnemonic Trick to remember the meaning of Lugubrious
- He was very mournful when he had to BURY his maimed LEG.
How to say or pronounce Lugubrious
Time to watch Shahrukh Khan’s lugubrious song from the movie ‘Kuch Kuch Hota Hai’