- (noun) a smell that is only smelt briefly or faintly. “I caught a whiff of eau de cologne”
- (noun) an unpleasant smell.
- (noun) an act of sniffing or inhaling. “I found my inhaler and took a deep whiff”
- (noun) a trace or hint of something bad, menacing, or exciting. “there had been a whiff of financial scandal in the past”
- (noun) a puff or breath of air or smoke. “whiffs of smoke emerged from the boiler”
- (noun) (chiefly in baseball or golf) an unsuccessful attempt to hit the ball. get a
- (noun) brief or faint smell of. “he whiffed the broth that was simmering on the stove”
- (verb) get a brief or faint smell of. “he whiffed the broth that was simmering on the stove”
Whiff meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- कश, झलक, हल्की गन्ध, झोंका, उड़ कर आना
- late 16th century (originally in the senses ‘gust of wind’ and ‘inhalation of tobacco smoke’, also, as a verb, ‘blow with a slight gust’): imitative.
- early 18th century: perhaps from whiff1.
Whiff our in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- India may soon break into the top 50 in ease of doing …, India is within touching distance of a place in the top 50 best places to do … The World Bank ranking comes as a whiff of fresh air for the Indian …
- It’s time for Shillong’s cherry blossom festival, Pretty-in-pink blooms awash cherry blossom trees and the whiff of barbeque … music, and dance performances by natives of North East India.
- Uttar Pradesh jail riot with cop torture and food grouse whiff, Five policemen including the deputy jailer at Gorakhpur jail were injured on Friday when a group of inmates attacked them at 6.30am and took …
- India vs South Africa: Bowling allies and familiar follies, But once they get a whiff, this Indian attack can be ruthless. They reduced the Proteas to 136/6 at lunch. Even though Faf du Plessis fought a …
- India’s booming appetite for opioids, For Indian cancer patients who once writhed in agony, there are ….. a reckless morphine addict or any whiff of scandal somewhere on the …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Whiff
- whiff sounds like SNIFF….I could sniff (smell) the fragrance of the flowers in a whiff of air.
- WHI..WHY..SO why to give a HINT TO someone strange about your house..
How to Pronounce Whiff