- (noun) a check or restraint on something. “plans to introduce tougher curbs on insider dealing”
- (noun) a type of bit with a strap or chain attached which passes under a horse’s lower jaw, used as a check
- (noun) a swelling on the back of a horse’s hock, caused by spraining a ligament.
- (verb) restrain or keep in check. “she promised she would curb her temper”
- (verb) restrain (a horse) by means of a curb.“both men were instinctively curbing their horses”
- (verb) lead (a dog being walked) near the curb to urinate or defecate, in order to avoid soiling buildings, pavements, etc.
Curb meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- सांकल, नियंत्रण रखना, पटरी का किनारा लगान की कड़ी, निप्रह, नियंत्रण, फुटपाथ, अटकाव, कड़ी, दबाव, नियंत्रण, प्रतिबंध, प्रतिबन्ध, फुटपाथ, रुकावट, रोक, अधीन करना, अपने मन का बना लेना, लगान देना, नियंत्रण करना, नियंत्रण रखना, वश में रखना, नियंत्रण करना, रोकना
- late 15th century (denoting a strap fastened to the bit): from Old French courber ‘bend, bow’, from Latin curvare
Curb in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- HIV prevention drug can curb the epidemic for high-risk groups in India
- In India, alcohol consumption increased by 38%; this means adults in … to alcohol will help curb non-communicable diseases, says the report.
- India to curb tea exports to Pak, Kolkata: Indian tea producers have said they are ready to curb exports to Pakistan as part of an economic offence in response to the Pulwama …
- India can curb TB deaths by 28% of tuberculosis related deaths over the next 30 years by subsidising tests and supporting patients to …
- India has decided to curb the import of “non-essential items” and take further measures to boost exports as New Delhi seeks to reduce its …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Curb
- It was very difficult to CURB(control/restrain) myself after seeing those luscious CURVEs in her body. 😉