- (verb) bury or drown beneath a huge mass of something, especially water. “floodwaters overwhelmed hundreds of houses”
- (verb) give too much of something to; inundate. “they were overwhelmed by farewell messages”
- (verb) have a strong emotional effect on. “I was overwhelmed with guilt”
- (verb) defeat completely. “the Irish side was overwhelmed 15–3 by Scotland”
- (verb) be too strong for; overpower. “the Stilton doesn’t overwhelm the flavour of the trout”
Overwhelm meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- पराजित करना, अधिक भावना प्रकट करना, विह्वल होना, वश में करना, अभिभुत होना, छा जाना, तबाह कर देना
Overwhelm in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Book traces evolution of campaigning in India elections, A new book traces the evolution of election campaigns in India by … as possible to saturate and Overwhelm the mind of an average Indian with …
- Vintage Di Maria helps PSG Overwhelm Real Madrid, Angel Di Maria scored twice in a vintage performance to help Paris St Germain outclass Real Madrid 3-0 in their opening Champions League …
- Adding Fizz, Fortunately, she was not Overwhelm . “I love variety, so India did not Overwhelm me. It’s hugely attractive. There is no opportunity to get bored …
- J&K and PoK: Why MEA Jaishankar’s comment isn’t the last …, The reason why India must insistently assert its claim is because the … to show that India can Overwhelm Pakistani defences in the region.
- Mumbai Rains: Trains and buses disrupted, showers Overwhelm city. Mumbai goes under. DNA Web Team; Sep 4, 2019, 01:23 PM IST. Heavy rains hit Mumbai …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Overwhelm
- over whim powder cover completely with bubles
- (verb) wet thoroughly, soak. “I fell in the stream and was drenched”
- (verb) forcibly administer a drug in liquid form orally to (an animal). “three-times-a-year drenching for calves”
- (noun) a dose of medicine administered to an animal. “a worming drench”
Drench meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- भीगना, गीला करना, सराबोर कर देना, दवा पिलाना, सराबोर करना, भिगाना, डुबाना, भिगोना, बौछाड़, मूसलधार बारिश
- Old English drencan ‘force to drink’, drenc ‘a drink or draught’, of Germanic origin; related to German tränken (verb), Trank (noun), also to drink..
Drench in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Snowfall on high reaches of HP, fresh rain shower drench in many …
- From Hampi to Puri: Drench in the spirit of Holi at these destinations …
- Stolen AK-47s drench Bihar in blood
- Tropical downpours to renew flood threat in southern India, Sri Lanka …
- Night long rains drench Bengaluru; Apartments near Hulimavu lake …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Drench
- souse water on his hot face
- (verb) jump or dive quickly and energetically; “Joy stripped her clothes off and plunged into the sea”
- (verb) fall suddenly and uncontrollably; “the aircraft plunged to the ground”
- (verb) embark impetuously on a speech or course of action; “he came to a decision, and plunged on before he had time to reconsider it”
- (verb) suffer a rapid decrease in value; “shares in the company plunged 18p on news that profits had fallen”
- (verb) (of a ship) pitch; “the ship plunged through the 20-foot seas”
- (verb) (of a horse) rear violently; “the frightened horse plunged and bolted”
- (verb) push or thrust quickly; “he plunged his hands into his pockets”
- (verb) quickly immerse in liquid; “plunge the pears into a bowl of cold water”
- (verb) suddenly bring into a specified condition or state; “the room was plunged into darkness”
- (verb) sink (a pot containing a plant) in the ground; “pot up and plunge spring-flowering bulbs”
- (noun) an act of jumping or diving into water; “a plunge into the deep end of the pool”
- (noun) a swift and drastic fall in value or amount; “the central bank declared a 76% plunge in its profits”
- take the plunge — commit oneself to a course of action about which one is nervous;“she wondered whether to enter for the race, but decided to take the plunge”
Plunge (प्लन्ज) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- गोता, छलांग, डुबकी, प्रवेश, तैरने का तालाब, कूद, डुबाना, डूबना, प्रवेश करना, गोता लगाना, किसी काम में मग्न हो जाना, झटके से डालना, उछाल आना, ग़ोता लगाना, कूदना
- late Middle English: from Old French plungier ‘thrust down’, based on Latin plumbum ‘lead, plummet’.
Plunge in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- More than 250 people took the plunge at Lake Fenton.
- Political donations plunge to $16.7m – down from average $25ma year.
- Temperatures to plunge to -5.
- Big Oil Companies Finished 2018 Strong Despite Plunge in Oil Prices.
- In Spain, international adoptions plunge while surrogacy grows.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of plunge
- sound like “put lung in water”
- (verb) (of a natural force) sweep over (something) so as to surround or cover it completely; “the cafe was engulfed in flames”
- (verb) powerfully affect (someone); overwhelm; “a feeling of anguish so great that it threatened to engulf him”
Engulf (इन्गल्फ / एन्गल्फ) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- निगलना, निमग्न, निगल जाना, निगल लेना,परिग्रहण करना
- mid 16th century (formerly also as ingulf ): from en-1, in-2 ‘in, on’ + gulf
Engulf in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Shootings and stabbings engulf Toronto over the weekend.
- Forest fires engulf 20% more areas in Russia.
- Forest Fires Engulf Large Area Near Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine.
- Thick Smog Continue To Engulf Kalyan.
- All teams and fans are gearing up for the Kabaddi fever which will engulf the entire nation.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of engulf