- (adj) having or showing a cunning and deceitful nature. “a sly, manipulative woman”
- (adj) showing in an insinuating way that one has some secret knowledge that may be harmful or embarrassing. “he gave a sly grin”
- (adj) (of an action) surreptitious. “a sly sip of water”
Sly meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- धूर्त, मक्कार, घुन्ना, धूर्ततापूर्ण, कुटिल, कपटी, उत्तेजना उत्पन्न करनेवाला, एकांत में किया हुआ, कपटी, चतुर, धूर्त, धोखेबाज़, शरारती, शातिर
- Middle English (also in the sense ‘dexterous’): from Old Norse slœgr ‘cunning’, originally ‘able to strike’ from the verb slá ; compare with sleight.
Sly in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Eating out goes off customers’ menu as slowdown bites, Rahul Khanna, director of Azure Hospitality, which has 40 pan-India … Rollmall, Foxtrot, Speedy Chow and Sly Granny, said there’s a blip in …
- ‘Rambo: Last Blood’ film review: A bloody mess, At least director Adrian Grunberg seems to have been convinced that the premise is interesting enough to make Sly flex his muscles.
- Anushka Sharma Kissing Virat Kohli’s Hand During DDCA’s …, During the recent DDCA glittering ceremony attended by Indian players, Anushka was seen kissing Virat Kohli’s hand on the sly.
- India’s National Film Awards: are the choices made genuinely?, The more soporific, better the chances of winning was the sly consensus. Only a few like Satyajit Ray, Mrinal Sen, Adoor Gopalakrishnan and …
- KL Rahul Slammed for Reference to Sexist Gaffe in Gayle B …, Also Read : KL Rahul & Rishabh Pant: The Chinks in Team India’s Batting … Look at the sly analogy to that interview with Mel MacLaughlin …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Sly
- s”lie” – one who deceives.
- A SPY has to be good at SLYing