- (noun) a separate room in a hospital, typically one allocated to a particular type of patient. “a children’s ward”
- (noun) an administrative division of a city or borough that typically elects and is represented by a councillor or councillors. “the second most marginal ward in Westminster”
- (noun) a child or young person under the care and control of a guardian appointed by their parents or a court. “for the last three years, the boy has been my ward”
- (noun) the state of being in the care of a guardian. “the ward and care of the Crown”
- (noun) any of the internal ridges or bars in a lock which prevent the turning of any key which does not have grooves of corresponding form or size.
- (noun) the action of keeping a lookout for danger. “I saw them keeping ward at one of those huge gates”
- (noun) an area of ground enclosed by the encircling walls of a fortress or castle.
- (verb) admit (a patient) to a hospital ward. “the last of the accident victims was warded”
- (verb) guard; protect. “it was his duty to ward the king”
Ward meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- प्रतिपाल्य, निगरानी, आश्रित, रोगीकक्ष, वार्ड, रक्षा करना, संरक्षित
- Old English weard (in ward (sense 5 of the noun), also ‘body of guards’), weardian ‘keep safe, guard’, of Germanic origin; reinforced in Middle English by Old Northern French warde (noun), warder (verb) ‘guard’.
Ward our in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- India’s last polio ward, 4013, possibly India’s only wards dedicated to treating men and women affected by polio. It has been five years since WHO declared the …
- The Shrinking Space for Scientific Temper in India Is Worrying, We should celebrate India’s constitutional provision for the scientific temper … flowers flowers, coconut and lemons, purportedly to ward off evil.
- Kashmiris’ situation is unsustainable: German Chancellor Merkel, … Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters accompanying her India trip. … Security officer of the ward filed a complaint at the Shivaji Park police …
- Which is India’s greenest metro?, Yet, among India’s six metros Delhi is already the greenest. …. Our analysis, though, suggests that most of India’s wards fail to meet the World …
- Halloween Unable To Gain Popularity In India. Some Possible …, … so they started lighting bonfires and wearing costumes to ward off the … In India, festival celebrations are bright, colourful and cheery,” social …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Ward
- Ward and guard sound similar…you ward off something that is evil or bad, similarly you guard yourself against the evil.
- the warden was awarded for warding off war in the ward!