- (verb) surprise and confuse (someone) so much that they are unsure how to react; “Diane was nonplussed by such an odd question”
- (noun) a state of being very surprised and confused; “reduced to a perfect nonplus, he rose from his chair”
Nonplus (नान्प्लस) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- संकोच, परेशानी, हैरान करना, हक्का-बक्का करना, उलझन में पड़ना
- late 16th century: from Latin non plus ‘not more’. The noun originally meant ‘a state in which no more can be said or done’.
Nonplus in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Words like nonplus, dumbfounding, stupefy …all come to life when you are in this part of the world.
- Ramarajabhushanudu also known as Bhattu Murthy, a serious poet, was seen interjecting with repartee, to nonplus some of his colleagues.
- When the chief of police learned he was about to be arrested, he became nonplussed and refused to answer any questions.
- The inexperienced teenage driver was nonplussed when his car began to slide on the ice.
- Even the experienced doctor was nonplussed when he saw the patient with a chainsaw in his skull.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of nonplus
- nonplus = 9 + plus = +++++++++ sounds confusing nah?
- (verb) throw or impel (someone or something) with great force; “rioters hurled a brick through the windscreen”
- (verb) utter (abuse) vehemently; “the demonstrators hurled abuse at councillors”
- (informal) vomit; “you make me want to hurl”
- (informal) (noun) a ride in a vehicle; a lift; “hey pal, any chance of a hurl?”
Hurl (हर्ल) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- जोर से फेंकना, जोर से चिल्लाना
- Middle English: probably imitative, but corresponding in form and partly in sense with Low German hurreln.
Hurl in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Gold traders hurl black flags at Sushma Swaraj’s car.
- A few minutes later, they returned to the spot and hurled stones at the car and fled the scene.
- Mandya municipal councillors hurl abuses, come to blows.
- ‘Go Raksha’ activists hurl shoe at Kanhaiya.
- I’m also able to hurl myself around the station, though most of the time I only succeed in propelling myself away from the station.
Shoe hurled at Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal (Breaking News)
- (verb) cause surprise or confusion in (someone), especially by not according with their expectations.“the inflation figure confounded economic analysts”
- (verb) mix up (something) with something else.“he was forever confounding managerialism with idealism”
- (verb) to contradict or refute; to confound their arguments.
- (verb) prove (a theory or expectation) wrong; “the rise in prices confounded expectations”
Confound meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- उलझाना, गड़बड़ करना, उलझन में डालना, हरा देना
- Middle English: from Old French confondre, from Latin confundere ‘pour together, mix up’
Confound in a sentence (usage in newspaper)
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of confound
- confound = confusion found
Hum tumme itne ched karengey – Dabangg funny video
- (verb) shock or greatly surprise
Astound (अस्टाउन्ड) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- अचंभित होना,आश्चर्यचकित करना,डराना,घबरा देना,घबड़ा देना,भयभीत करना,अचम्भित करना,चकित करना,भौंचक्का करना,हक्का बक्का करना
Astound in a sentence
Mnemonic Trick to remember the meaning of Astound
- Astound sounds like STUNT which really a wonder
Funny ad from Tide. The Halwai…